nounBritish • informal or • dated
- Mother: the mater has kept the house in LondonMore example sentences
- We visited once, in the 1980s, and I remember being fairly gobsmacked that my mater grew up in such a place.
- Doubtless mater and pater sent this horny-handed son of toil to the local comp followed by the polytechnic.
- Note that the sender to bed is not named: it could just as easily be a paternal figure as the whimsical mater.
More definitions of materDefinition of mater in:
- The British & World English dictionary