- 1The body of remedial substances used in the practice of medicine.More example sentences
- For the next 7 years, he continued his practice of medicine and lectured on materia medica in Cambridge, until his return to London, where he had a rich and productive professional career.
- Even though, as far as I know, snail shell is not a substance used in the Chinese materia medica, it resembles in shape and quality other substances which are.
- It is the milder substances that make up the vast bulk of the Chinese materia medica.
- 1.1The study of the origin and properties of remedial substances used in medicine.More example sentences
- The early licensure exams consisted of six sections: medical nursing, surgical nursing, dietetics and home sanitation, obstetrical nursing, anatomy and physiology and materia medica.
- Herbal preparations from the traditional Ayur-Vedic materia medica were utilized according to clinical indications.
- He was so convinced of the importance of Arabic medicine that he began to learn the language himself, and wrote commentaries praising the therapeutics and materia medica of al-Razi.
late 17th century: modern Latin, translation of Greek hulē iatrikē 'healing material' (the title of a work by Dioscorides).
More definitions of materia medicaDefinition of materia medica in:
- The British & World English dictionary