Definition of materialize in English:
1(Of a ghost, spirit, or similar entity) appear in bodily form.
- There must be strange entities materializing from the ether, ghouls, ghosts, or spirits hanging out in the material world to warn or haunt us.
- Near Virginia City, Nevada, the spirit of a camel materializes, led by a dead man.
- This time he knew what it was before the ghost even materialized.
1.1 [with object] Cause to appear in bodily or physical form.
- So, although the image of the coach abstracts the family dynamic into a mathematical or schematic imbalance, it also materializes it as one of mechanical and physical awkwardness.
- The government was on the brink of materializing it in 1995.
- However, these must now be materialized by the adoption of specific mechanisms to respond to the needs of defenders so that they can exercise their activities freely.
2Become actual fact; happen: the assumed savings may not materialize
More example sentences
- Needless to say these jobs never materialised and in fact 175 jobs from the existing plant in Limerick were actually lost.
- The expectation was for an abrupt decline in consumer expenditures that, in fact, did not materialize.
- The salaries did in fact later materialize, and living within salaries is no form of corruption.
2.1Appear or be present: the train didn’t materialize
More example sentences
- We had been told to expect a rescue package but none had materialised.
- A mixture of reef sharks and bulls, they have an uncanny ability to appear behind you or materialise from behind a coral head only feet away.
- She crawled out of her sleeping bag and her dark head peered around the room once more, as though she expected her friends to materialise out of nowhere.
- Example sentences
- The ‘boxlike contraption’ only gradually comes into focus, beginning with the ‘black tiles of ivory’ and completing its materialization with the reference to music.
- The successful materialization of these fugitive images is a challenge.
- All this seemed extremely close to the kind of materialization of time that preoccupied Einstein.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan