Definition of maternity in English:
- DNA testing was done on the biological mothers to confirm maternity of the children who participated.
- But it's maternity and motherhood that are the issues closest to her heart and first off her tongue.
- The National Birth & Motherhood Survey 2002 paints a grim picture of modern maternity.
1.1 [usually as modifier] The period during pregnancy and shortly after childbirth: maternity clothes
More example sentences
- It's not easy being pregnant and finding nice maternity clothes.
- And for you women who've been pregnant and worn maternity pants, you know how ridiculous those things look.
- Speaking of being large and in charge, let us talk for a moment about the issue of maternity clothes.
Early 17th century: from French maternité, from Latin maternus, from mater 'mother'.
Words that rhyme with maternityconfraternity, eternity, fraternity, modernity, paternity, taciturnity
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.