- An agricultural tool shaped like a pickax, with an adze and a chisel edge as the ends of the head.More example sentences
- Laborers used tools resembling mattocks or hoes for digging and used woven reed baskets for hauling dirt and debris.
- Using this, and a bladed tool like a mattock, it takes him 15 days to prepare the ground for planting.
- Then, with a mattock and shovel, we dug into the side of the hill to make a spot for a level platform, which needed to be heavily reinforced because most of the hillside consisted of loose rock and shale.
Old English mattuc, of uncertain origin.
More definitions of mattockDefinition of mattock in:
- The British & World English dictionary