Of a pale purple color.
- She wore a white tunic with pale mauve sleeves and veil.
- The wind was blowing through her fancy curtained window and a light breeze hit her long brown hair as it dangled off the bed hitting the pale purple and mauve comforter.
- Flower blossoms are creamy white with mauve caps and are frugally placed up the stem above glossy green foliage.
1A pale purple color: a few pale streaks of mauve were all that remained of the sunset glowing with soft pastel mauves and pinks
More example sentences
- Some are white, many in hues of lavender and lilac, pale mauves and deep purples, and a host of other colors.
- They come in the girliest pinks, mauves and purples.
- Grey carbuncled shells of giant clams open up to reveal a flesh of startling beauty, soft mauves dotted with electric blue and the palest of yellow.
2 historical A bright but delicate pale purple aniline dye prepared by William H. Perkin (1838–1907) in 1856. It was the first synthetic dyestuff.
- The first synthetic dye, mauve, was prepared in 1856 by the English chemist William Henry Perkin.
- The 1856 discovery of the first synthetic aniline dye, mauve, marked a new era in textile dyeing.
- One example is the story of the clarification of the chemical structure of Perkin's mauve, the first synthetic dyestuff.
Mid 19th century: from French, literally 'mallow', from Latin malva.
Words that rhyme with mauvebehove, clove, cove, dove, drove, fauve, grove, interwove, Jove, rove, shrove, stove, strove, trove, wove
Definition of mauve in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.