Definition of maximalist in English:
(Especially in politics) a person who holds extreme views and is not prepared to compromise.
- As the referendum approached, longstanding splits between the minimalists and maximalists within the republican movement became significant.
- Despite the urging of the maximalists, Ireland never became directly involved with the Nonaligned Movement, nor did it develop particularly close relations with the other European neutrals.
- Territorial maximalists are pushing hard for an ‘encirclement fence.’
adjectiveBack to top
Of or denoting an extreme opinion: if we demand only maximalist ends, we will get nothing
More example sentences
- I wanted to make a minimalist and maximalist record at the same time - so I did.
- But those details will tell us a lot about whether we're pursuing a minimalist or maximalist plan.
- The point is that the people who are really worth listening to aren't making absolute or maximalist statements or predictions.
- Example sentences
- Nationalist maximalism, remember, is a rhetorical mode of politics that precludes real political progress by narrowing the range possibilities to the most fervently wished for, if unattainable, national goals.
- It's maximalism in the extreme - and with barely time to breathe between brass charts, peals of synthesizer, elaborate string parts, and big three-part harmonies, it's easy to get lost in the labyrinthine arrangements.
- The project is based primarily on improvisation and utilising ‘found sounds' and explores aspects of both minimalism and maximalism.
Words that rhyme with maximalistvocalist • animalist
Definition of maximalist in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.