- Perhaps; possibly: maybe I won’t go back maybe she’d been wrong to accept this jobMore example sentences
- If we manage to beat them in the league this year, well, maybe we will win the league.
- We were at Kempton when he won the King George and we just thought that maybe this was going to be his day.
- Last season we thought we were good enough to win the title, but maybe not mature enough.
nounBack to top
- A mere possibility or probability: no ifs, buts, or maybesMore example sentences
- In place of concrete evidence and facts, it substitutes possibilities, intentions and maybes.
- ‘We've a confidential list of probables, possibles and maybes in terms of medals,’ she confides.
- Now, there's no ifs, buts and maybes about that.
late Middle English: from the phrase it may be (that).