Definition of mayfly in English:
noun (plural mayflies)
1A short-lived, slender insect with delicate, transparent wings and two or three long filaments on the tail. It lives close to water, where the chiefly herbivorous aquatic larvae develop.
- Order Ephemeroptera: several families and many species
- Rations include a variety of insect larvae, especially mayflies, blackflies, caddis flies, and midges.
- During the breeding season, they also eat insects, especially dragonflies, mayflies, and caddis flies as they emerge from their aquatic larval stage.
- In rivers rainbow trout will feed primarily upon the larvae of mayflies and caddis flies.
1.1An artificial fishing fly that imitates a mayfly.
- Dapping natural and artificial mayflies also worked well.
- Mayfly hatches appeared to be sparse but trout were still taking artificial mayflies.
- I could clearly see my size 10 mayfly nymph as it proceeded downstream, bumping and lifting off the bottom.
Words that rhyme with mayflysandfly • barfly
Definition of mayfly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan