- (especially in southern Africa) another term for thumb piano.More example sentences
- The album is made entirely from a multitracked mbira (thumb piano) and occasional rhythmic accompaniment.
- These songs conjure a sense of community and activity with their lively mbira parts and the ecstatic singing, making the mbira an instrument of sociality, festivity, and fierce activity.
- The artist's brother makes mbiras, the musical instrument intimately associated with possession ceremonies; his grandfather carved head rests; and his mother was a potter and his source of inspiration.
late 19th century: from Shona, probably an alteration of rimba 'a note'.
More definitions of mbiraDefinition of mbira in:
- The British & World English dictionary