noun (plural same or Mbutis)
A member of a pygmy people of western Uganda and adjacent areas of the Democratic Republic of Congo (formerly Zaire).
- The Mbutis (of the Pygmy group) in central West Africa, for example, were pushed all the way into the Ituri Forest of DRC and Gabon.
- The choreographer is a long-time fan of the polyphonic vocalizing of the Aka clan of the Mbuti (commonly known as Pygmy).
- Within Africa, the two Pygmy groups have the lowest heterozygosity, and the Mbuti markedly so.
Relating to the Mbuti.
- In particular, the Mbuti population shows highest genetic variation but a lower value for the expansion index compared with those for Central Africans, Europeans, and East Asians.
- The Mbuti people are renowned for a vocal style in which many voices simultaneously sing different, independent melodies.
The name in local languages.
Definition of Mbuti in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.