Definition of meadow saffron in English:
A poisonous autumn crocus that produces its flowers, usually lilac, in the autumn while leafless. Native to Europe and North Africa, it is a source of the drug colchicine.
- Colchicum autumnale, family Liliaceae
- The meadow saffron (Colchicum autumnale Pleniforum) in the photograph is looking a little worse for wear because Good Golly Miss Molly and her sibling partners in crime sat on it.
- Species found in the meadows include great burnet, meadow foxtail, red fescue, meadow saffron, narrow-leaved water-dropwort, mousetail, and the unusual small-flowered winter-cress on bare banks of the Severn.
- You can take a little bit of arsenic every day for ten years, but what happens if someone slips some meadow saffron in your polenta?
Definition of meadow saffron in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.