Definition of meadow saffron in English:
A poisonous autumn crocus that produces its flowers, usually lilac, in the autumn while leafless. Native to Europe and North Africa, it is a source of the drug colchicine.
- Colchicum autumnale, family Liliaceae
- The meadow saffron (Colchicum autumnale Pleniforum) in the photograph is looking a little worse for wear because Good Golly Miss Molly and her sibling partners in crime sat on it.
- Species found in the meadows include great burnet, meadow foxtail, red fescue, meadow saffron, narrow-leaved water-dropwort, mousetail, and the unusual small-flowered winter-cress on bare banks of the Severn.
- You can take a little bit of arsenic every day for ten years, but what happens if someone slips some meadow saffron in your polenta?
Definition of meadow saffron in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan