Definition of meadowsweet in English:
A tall plant of the rose family (Rosaceae) with clusters of sweet-smelling flowers.
- ● Spiraeae latifola of North American meadows and roadsides, with white or pale pink flowers. ● Filipendula ulmaria, native to Eurasia and naturalized in North America, with creamy white flowers and favoring damp meadows.
- Plants thriving on the meadows include oxeye daisy, yellow-rattle, meadowsweet, bird's-foot trefoil and common knapweed.
- Other locally common tannin-rich plants include blackberry, raspberry, rose, lady's mantle, agrimony, meadowsweet, and strawberry (all members of the rose family), geraniums, purple loosestrife, and sumacs.
- Honey was used to make a sweet alcoholic drink called mead, which was usually flavoured with some form of herb such as meadowsweet.
Words that rhyme with meadowsweetbuckwheat
Definition of meadowsweet in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan