Definition of meadowsweet in English:
A tall plant of the rose family (Rosaceae) with clusters of sweet-smelling flowers.
- ● Spiraeae latifola of North American meadows and roadsides, with white or pale pink flowers. ● Filipendula ulmaria, native to Eurasia and naturalized in North America, with creamy white flowers and favoring damp meadows.
- Plants thriving on the meadows include oxeye daisy, yellow-rattle, meadowsweet, bird's-foot trefoil and common knapweed.
- Other locally common tannin-rich plants include blackberry, raspberry, rose, lady's mantle, agrimony, meadowsweet, and strawberry (all members of the rose family), geraniums, purple loosestrife, and sumacs.
- Honey was used to make a sweet alcoholic drink called mead, which was usually flavoured with some form of herb such as meadowsweet.
Words that rhyme with meadowsweetbuckwheat
Definition of meadowsweet in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.