- 1Following a winding course: a meandering laneMore example sentences
- Slowly the landscape changed as the two elementals followed the meandering river.
- The humans pursued a meandering course through the forest.
- The family acquired a former cereal farm, a 300 hectare spread extending along both sides of the meandering river Ega.
- 1.1Proceeding in a convoluted or undirected fashion: a brilliant sample of meandering discourse a florid and rather meandering melodyMore example sentences
- The ensuing 86 minutes unfold in a slow, meandering fashion, yet somehow remain likeable even if nothing much happens.
- When read straight through, the narrative digressions take the reader on a meandering path that resembles hypertextual linking.
- Short and stylistically different than much of the rest of the album, it features Hayden in top vocal form, gently wrapping his words around a meandering piano melody.
noun(usually meanderings) Back to top
- 1An act of following a winding course: oxbow lagoons left by the river’s meanderingsMore example sentences
- Radlauer places her palm on the map showing the Mississippi's meanderings.
- 1.1An act of wandering in a leisurely or aimless manner: in the course of his meanderings through the cityMore example sentences
- Bath Walks records a series of meanderings around the City of Bath, identifying architectural details and revealing new relationships between the patches of buildings and its streets.
- One distinguished exponent is Van Morrison, whose Astral Weeks album detailed his meanderings through Cyprus Avenue, a tree-lined road near his childhood home in east Belfast.
- It was on one of these nocturnal meanderings that I spotted a young girl walking along about a block ahead of me.
- 1.2Convoluted or undirected thought or language: he has a penchant for obscure verbal meanderingsMore example sentences
- For example, the title track's obscured by excessive meandering, never giving any indication of the song's center, or the composition's significance.
- Emerging from their apparently aimless meanderings came an essential truthfulness, a revelation of how things are.
- Combined with this talent, Sellers had an incredible ability to improvise and wander away from the script in wild comic meanderings, which, on many occasions, prevented his co-star from keeping a straight face.