Definition of means test in English:
An official investigation into someone’s financial circumstances to determine whether they are eligible for a welfare payment or other public funds.
- The new law uses a means test to determine ability to continue paying debts over an extended period of time.
- The proposed law would require a means test to determine whether a consumer can file a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, which liquidates assets and eliminates debt, or a Chapter 13, which requires a repayment plan.
- The Bankruptcy Act will implement a means test to determine ability to shell out at least a portion of arrears.
verb(means-test) [with object] (usually as adjective means-tested) Back to top
1Make (a welfare payment, etc.) conditional on a means test: means-tested benefits
More example sentences
- Also, anyone who has savings of between £3,000 and £8,000 will have their means-tested benefits reduced on a sliding scale.
- All means-tested benefits combined would reduce the poverty rate by another 2.9 percentage points.
- If you have a low income you may be entitled to means-tested benefits which could top up your income.
Definition of means test in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia