Definition of means test in English:
An official investigation into someone’s financial circumstances to determine whether they are eligible for a welfare payment or other public funds.
- The new law uses a means test to determine ability to continue paying debts over an extended period of time.
- The proposed law would require a means test to determine whether a consumer can file a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, which liquidates assets and eliminates debt, or a Chapter 13, which requires a repayment plan.
- The Bankruptcy Act will implement a means test to determine ability to shell out at least a portion of arrears.
verb(means-test) [with object] (usually as adjective means-tested) Back to top
1Make (a welfare payment, etc.) conditional on a means test: means-tested benefits
More example sentences
- Also, anyone who has savings of between £3,000 and £8,000 will have their means-tested benefits reduced on a sliding scale.
- All means-tested benefits combined would reduce the poverty rate by another 2.9 percentage points.
- If you have a low income you may be entitled to means-tested benefits which could top up your income.
Definition of means test in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.