- 1 Philosophy A person who believes in the doctrine of mechanism.More example sentences
- Although, unlike most of his fashionable contemporaries and immediate successors, Descartes was not an atomist, he was, like the others, a mechanist about the properties of matter.
- For Descartes, and other mechanists who followed after him, the healthy body was nothing more than a well-functioning machine, soulless and subject to chemical and mechanical remedies.
- But in the second half of the century both neoplatonists and mechanists usually promoted more practical projects.
- 2A person skilled in the design or construction of machinery.More example sentences
- Huygens was the greatest mechanist of the seventeenth century.
More definitions of mechanistDefinition of mechanist in:
- The British & World English dictionary