Definition of mechanoreceptor in English:
A sense organ or cell that responds to mechanical stimuli such as touch or sound.
- Pacinian corpuscles, or pressure receptors, are the largest peripheral mechanoreceptors in mammals.
- Prey appear to be detected primarily by mechanoreceptors.
- The threshold loading test stimulates mechanoreceptors in respiratory muscles.
- Example sentences
- The lateral line system of fishes and many amphibians comprises lines of mechanoreceptive neuromasts distributed over the head and trunk.
- Each sphere is connected by nerves to a highly-sensitive mechanoreceptive sensory cell.
- This suggests that the responsible nerve endings are mechanoreceptive.
Definition of mechanoreceptor in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan