noun (plural mediastina /-əˈstīnə/)Anatomy
A membranous partition between two body cavities or two parts of an organ, especially that between the lungs.
- The tumor, which is often but not always associated with cystic lung lesions, may arise in pulmonary parenchyma, the mediastinum, and pleura.
- On the lateral radiograph there appeared to be herniation of the left lung through the anterior mediastinum.
- The left main bronchus was exposed at the posterior mediastinum and separated from connective tissue.
- Example sentences
- One patient had extensive cervical, posterior mediastinal, and abdominal lymphadenopathy.
- Two patients presented with masses in the upper lobe of the right lung, simulating posterior mediastinal tumors.
- All men with mediastinal lung masses require a careful testicular examination.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of mediastinum in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.