- A large European leech, introduced to North America, used in medicine for bloodletting. After biting, it secretes an anticoagulant to ensure the flow of blood.
More example sentences
- Hirudo medicinalis, family Hirudidae
- In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, Europeans considered leeches a panacea, and used billions of European medicinal leeches for everything from obesity to headaches.
- There are many similar records of incredible numbers of medicinal leeches being used across Europe.
- The medicinal leech almost became extinct in Europe due to the extremely high demand for them.
More definitions of medicinal leechDefinition of medicinal leech in:
- The British & World English dictionary