Definition of megalithic in English:
1Of, relating to, or denoting prehistoric monuments made of or containing megaliths.
- During the second excavation campaign, we excavated another megalithic monument in the Knocknarea Peninsula: a court tomb at Primrose Grange, some 2km southwest of Carrowmore.
- The truth of Stonehenge is that three different cultures contributed to this megalithic monument.
- The megalithic monuments of Malta have been known since the last century, and they used to be grouped with the other megalithic monuments of Europe, such as the passage graves of the Atlantic seaboard, or Stonehenge and Avebury in Britain.
1.1 (often Megalithic) Of, relating to, or denoting prehistoric cultures characterized by the erection of megalithic monuments.
- Added to that the routes would destroy an area of natural beauty as well as pass through areas of historical and archaeological interest, particularly a concentration of Neolithic and Megalithic sites.
- The Giant's Grave, a Megalithic tomb which up until now has been almost impossible to find, will add to the tourist attractions of the Slieve Bloom.
- By late afternoon a short rest was taken on the site of a Megalithic burial ground, referred to by locals as The Giants Graveyard or The Graves.
2(Of an organization or system) massive or monolithic: since June, the committee has become megalithic
More example sentences
- This megalithic log cabin is a frontier masterpiece: a massive spa hotel faithfully designed along the lines of the old frontier lodges.
- The walls are megalithic, if not in some cases monumental, in form; they are also consistent in construction technique across the site and synchronous in date.
- His body lies beneath the vast funerary monument shaped by Jacob Epstein, but not even its megalithic weight can keep the spirit of Oscar Wilde earthbound.
Definition of megalithic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India