Definition of megalosaur in English:
A large carnivorous bipedal dinosaur of the mid Jurassic period, whose remains have been found only in England and France.
- Genus Megalosaurus, suborder Theropoda, order Saurischia; the first dinosaur to be described and named (1824)
- The discovery of the megalosaurus near Minchinhampton happened years before the word ‘dinosaur’ had even been coined.
- Clearly the megalosaurus in the opening passage of Bleak House is a flight of hyperbolic fancy (inspired, I would guess, by the papier-mâché dinosaurs constructed for the Crystal Palace Exhibition, a couple of years earlier).
- 'Iguanodons grew to five metres tall, while megalosauruses grew even taller, to eight metres,’ she said.
- Example sentences
- Although there was some turnover during that time, with more advanced families and genera replacing earlier ones, the basic ‘big three’ of sauropods, stegosaurs, and theropods (the latter themselves being divided into ceratosaurian, megalosaurian and allosaurian) remained throughout, with Camptosaurid ornithopods only emerging towards the end.
- In the splendid collection of Megalosaurian remains in the possession of Mr. James Parker, of Oxford, which I had the good fortune to see a few weeks ago, I recognised the astragalus of that reptile, which, as I had already divined from the structure of the tibia, is altogether like the corresponding bone in Poikilopleuron.
- In 1856, Deinodon horridus, from the Judith River Beds of Montana, was securely founded by Leidy on Megalosaurian teeth, and those first mentioned and first figured in Leidy's original description and memoir on the Judith River Vertebrates must be regarded as valid types.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan