A unit of explosive power chiefly used for nuclear weapons, equivalent to one million tons of TNT: H-bombs of fifteen megatons each
More example sentences
- Were the asteroid to hit Earth, it would enter the atmosphere at nearly 103,000 km/h and strike with the explosive energy of 1.2 million megatons of TNT.
- The largest weapon of this kind known to have been tested was estimated to be a 58 megaton (58 million tonnes of TNT) device produced by the Soviet Union during the height of the cold war.
- Nearby in Balaclava (yes, the hat is named after this place - look it up), a submarine base is cut out of the side of a mountain, making it invisible to surveillance and able to withstand a 10 megaton nuclear explosion.
- More example sentences
- Oil and coal were fast becoming memories, and incredible advances in solar power had come to nothing, due to greenhouse clouds and the megatonnage of dirt thrown into the atmosphere by the Nine Days War.
- In a nightmare future of nuclear conflict, megatonnage would matter.
Definition of megaton in:
- The British & World English dictionary