- An Australian shrub or tree that bears spikes of flowers. Some kinds are a source of timber or medicinal oil.
More example sentences
- Genus Melaleuca, family Myrtaceae: many species, including the Australian paperbarks
- Acacias, grevilleas and melaleucas need careful annual pruning to keep them busy and attractive and should be replaced when they are no longer so.
- A dozen native trees will be saved, including melaleucas, coolamons, conifers, a flame tree and a lilly pilly.
- Callistemons and melaleucas are often tricky to tell apart as they are both evergreen trees or shrubs with papery trunks.
modern Latin: from Greek melas 'black' + leukos 'white' (because of the fire-blackened white bark of some Asian species).
More definitions of melaleucaDefinition of melaleuca in:
- The British & World English dictionary