Definition of melancholia in English:
1Deep sadness or gloom; melancholy: rain slithered down the windows, encouraging a creeping melancholia
More example sentences
- Contrasting greatly with the often-brooding melancholia of Tristeza, LaValle manages to inject an uplifting aspect into his solo work.
- Writers invariably describe the flat estuary land as ‘melancholic ‘, but that's because writers bring their melancholia with them.
- If you're not in the market for a new wall color, or you're not quite ready to risk a bout of autumnal melancholia, it's quite easy to use this deep rose as an accent, especially when you want to create a romantic, intimate mood.
1.1 dated A mental condition marked by persistent depression and ill-founded fears.
- He refused to take on patients who were psychotic; that is, who were suffering from schizophrenia or from the most severe type of melancholia (depressive illness).
- Asylum doctors divided mental illness into four categories: mania (with an important subcategory, monomania), melancholia, dementia, and idiocy.
- All the identified patients had psychotic illnesses: mania and melancholia, general paresis, and post-encephalitic states.
- Example sentences
- For the rest of his short life she looked after him, mended his clothes, helped him through melancholiac hangovers, fed him as well as the meager larder permitted.
- In Freud, it is assumed that the ego exists apart from the lost object; however, for Schwenger's melancholiac, the sense of loss resides in the perception that there is no self apart from objects.
- He argues that the melancholiac's self-loathing disguises a hostility towards the lost, beloved object, indicating an underlying ambivalence towards it.
Pronunciation: /-ˈkōlē-ak/noun& adjective
Words that rhyme with melancholiaAnatolia, magnolia, Mongolia
Definition of melancholia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan