A condition of abnormal or excessive production of melanin in the skin or other tissue.
More example sentences
- Erythema toxicum neonatorum, transient neonatal pustular melanosis, sucking blister, miliaria, and mongolian spots are among the many benign skin conditions that can occur in newborns.
- Various types of skin manifestations of arsenic toxicity were observed - from melanosis, keratosis, hyperkeratosis, dorsal keratosis, and nonpitting edema, to gangrene and cancer.
- A punch biopsy at the border of the lesion is necessary to rule out melanosis secondary to malignant melanoma that manifests as a generalized blue-gray skin discoloration.
early 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek melas, melan- 'black' + -osis.
- More example sentences
- Of the 9 metastatic melanomas, 5 were melanotic and 4 were amelanotic.
- Therefore, a final diagnosis of melanotic pleomorphic xanthoastrocytoma was made.
- About 1% of all newborns have a congenital melanotic (black pigmented) nevus or birthmark.