- Blend; combine: [with object]: Australia’s winemakers have melded modern science with traditional art [no object]: the nylon bristles shrivel and meld togetherMore example sentences
- It's not just the expertise and virtuosity of the individual musicians in ‘California Jazz’, it's the way they meld together to present some of the coolest hot jazz being played in Shanghai at the moment.
- The endless demos, petitions, teach-ins, sit-ins, and conferences meld together into one prototypical news story, complete with oversized photos.
- The minute we saw it, we felt it was just right for the site - all our ideas seemed to meld together.
nounBack to top
- A thing formed by merging or blending: a meld of many contributionsMore example sentences
- Once known as the Enchanted Isles, the Galapagos to first time visitors are a meld of mysticism and stark reality.
- He needs to slip into old clothes so that he could feel free to stretch out on the hay beside the brook and bathe in a meld of physical sensations.
- (In rummy, canasta, and other card games) lay down or declare (a combination of cards) in order to score points: a player has melded four kingsMore example sentences
- As well as melding complete combinations, players are allowed to meld cards which extend combinations which are already on the table.
- There are two ways of scoring points: by melding combinations and by winning scoring cards in tricks.
- It is possible to go out in the melding part of a turn, by melding all of your cards, or to meld all but one of your cards, and go out by discarding your last card.
nounBack to top
- A completed set or run of cards in rummy, canasta, and other card games.More example sentences
- Note that in this version of Canasta, melds consisting entirely of wild cards are not allowed.
- It is possible to pick up the discard pile if it is not frozen and you have a meld or canasta in the same rank as the top card of the pile.
- You must have at least one example of each type - natural, mixed, wild, sequence and sevens - completed with 7 cards in each, and you may also have additional canastas or smaller melds of any types.
late 19th century (originally US): from German melden 'announce'.