- At the junction of the two stands London's only cross-eyed statue, a memorial to 18th century libertarian John Wilkes.
- I'd expected to see looted shops, broken glass, and a lot of mess, but it really was shocking to see the Cenotaph, a memorial to Britain's war-dead, daubed with graffiti.
- The anchor was raised some years ago near Boatstrand and has now been mounted on the pier with an appropriate plaque as a memorial to its ill-fated captain and crew.
- In January of 2004, Richard Goode spoke at a memorial service commemorating the life and death of a coal miner named Joseph Mairs, Jr.
- They have arranged to hold a special memorial service in June commemorating all the people ‘laid to rest’ at their beloved Maine Road.
- His memorial service, which commemorated all the victims of the crash, was like no other.
- Read in its entirety the memorial is no petition for clemency or mercy but makes out a clear and emphatic case on the basis of legal rights and constitutional practices and principles.
- Often there is an array of family memorials recording the passing generations.
- They have given hours of their time to tracing memorials and recording their existence.
- The ongoing debates over memorials, memoirs, and the diminishing possibilities of authentic memory are given erudite, expressive, and eloquent treatment.
- Yi Xin's memorial on ChinaWest relations was representative of the prevailing opinion within the Qing Dynasty's highest ruling clique.
- They said, in memorials to the emperor: "Since our exchange of treaties with the barbarians, they have returned to Tianjin and to the south in groups".
Late Middle English: from late Latin memoriale 'record, memory, monument', from Latin memorialis 'serving as a reminder', from memoria 'memory'.
Words that rhyme with memorialaccessorial, accusatorial, advertorial, ambassadorial, arboreal, armorial, auditorial, authorial, boreal, censorial, combinatorial, consistorial, conspiratorial, corporeal, curatorial, dictatorial, directorial, editorial, equatorial, executorial, gladiatorial, gubernatorial, immemorial, imperatorial, janitorial, lavatorial, manorial, marmoreal, monitorial, natatorial, oratorial, oriel, pictorial, piscatorial, prefectorial, professorial, proprietorial, rectorial, reportorial, sartorial, scriptorial, sectorial, senatorial, territorial, tonsorial, tutorial, uxorial, vectorial, visitorial
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.