Definition of menadione in English:
A synthetic yellow compound related to menaquinone, used to treat hemorrhage. Also called vitamin K3 (see vitamin K).
- Alternative name: 2-methyl-1,4-naphthoquinone; chemical formula: C11H8O2
- This medium is prepared twice each week and is complemented with 8% sheep blood, menadione, and gentamicin, making this medium selective for anaerobes.
- The K vitamins exist naturally as K 1 in green vegetables and K 2 produced by intestinal bacteria and K 3 is synthetic menadione.
- After absorption, menadione is thought to become alkylated into biologically active isoprenylated menaquinones.
1940s: from me(thyl) + na(phthalene) + the suffix -dione, used in names of compounds containing two carbonyl groups.
Definition of menadione in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.