- The first occurrence of menstruation.More example sentences
- But the delayed menarche and the delayed puberty may have an effect on their growth and height.
- Early menarche and late menopause may also increase the risk of breast cancer by affecting lifetime exposure to hormones.
- The longer a woman's fertile life (the interval between the menarche and the menopause), the more likely she will develop Parkinson's disease.
- More example sentences
- Despite the importance of menarcheal age as an indicator of puberty, there is little information on menarcheal age in contemporary teenagers to compare with data on girls born in the 1950s and 1960s.
- While only the adolescent female (and those she chooses to tell) knows her menarcheal status, breast development is noticeable to all.
- Patton et al., using a multivariate model, reported that depression and anxiety in females were positively correlated with year in school, however menarcheal status was a stronger predictor.
Pronunciation: /menˈärkēəl/(or menarchial) adjective
late 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek mēn 'month' + arkhē 'beginning'.
More definitions of menarcheDefinition of menarche in:
- The British & World English dictionary