- A large deep-bodied fish of the herring family that occurs along the east coast of North America. The oil-rich flesh is used to make fish meal and fertilizer.
More example sentences
- Genus Brevoortia, family Clupeidae: several species, in particular B. tyrannus
- These larger animals include the great schools of fish, such as tuna, menhaden, cod and mackerel, which we catch for food.
- But menhaden are not predators like blue runners and bumper, and can't be caught on sabiki rigs.
- Like tuna and salmon, menhaden contain high levels of omega - 3 fatty acids.
late 18th century: from Algonquian.
More definitions of menhadenDefinition of menhaden in:
- The British & World English dictionary