- another term for thiol.More example sentences
- Ethyl acetate, hydrogen sulphide, mercaptans, excess sulphur dioxide, and the smellable compounds generated by some bacteria all can be reasons for judging a wine faulty.
- Even a healthy animal not exposed to noxious substances will have some toxins present in the body (e.g., mercaptans, short-chain fatty acids, skatoles, indoles, ketone bodies).
- In the pure science section is the data surrounding the two chemicals ethyl mercaptan and butyl sereno-mercaptan which smell of a combination of rotting cabbage, garlic, onions, burned toast and sewers.
mid 19th century: from modern Latin mer(curium) captan(s), literally 'capturing mercury'.
More definitions of mercaptanDefinition of mercaptan in:
- The British & World English dictionary