noun(often the merchant marine) North American
- A country’s shipping that is involved in commerce and trade, as opposed to military activity.More example sentences
- His real education began when he joined the merchant marine and took a job in a freighter's engine room.
- The future's merchant marine ship looked like a merchant marine ship and the talk was pay and work conditions.
- Such an oligarchy had been predisposed to heavy spending on the navy, producing a fleet strong enough to defend a merchant marine that carried a large proportion of the world's overseas trade.
More definitions of merchant marineDefinition of merchant marine in:
- The British & World English dictionary