Definition of merganser in English:
A fish-eating diving duck with a long, thin serrated and hooked bill. Also called sawbill.
- Genus Mergus, subfamily Merginae, family Anatidae: six species, including the conspicuously crested red-breasted merganser (M. serrator); common merganser (M. merganser), the male of which has a white body and dark green head; and smew
- Check your field guide to identify gadwalls, widgeons, wood ducks, hooded mergansers, ringnecks, and maybe a scalup or a canvasback.
- This area affords excellent views of Burrard Inlet and rafts of offshore ducks. scoters, scaup, mergansers, goldeneye and buffleheads are all good possibilities.
- In the large cove before us she identified the scattered ducks: golden eyes, canvas backs, mergansers, immature herring gulls.
Definition of merganser in:
- British & World English dictionary