- (Relative to the acrolect and the basilect) an intermediate dialect or variety of a particular language (used especially in the study of Creoles).More example sentences
- Sociolinguists have created such terms as acrolect, mesolect, and basilect from the root element of dialect.
- The terms ‘basilect’, ‘mesolect’, and ‘acrolect’ are used to describe the range of varieties often found after creolization.
- The speech of the poor and less educated is similar to the mesolect in nearby countries.
- More example sentences
- The primary mesolectal diatype, however, is German, which also dominates in the acrolect.
- Please note that most of the spelling follows mesolectal orthography, or English-based approximations, which do not represent the true sounds, so be careful in adopting them.
- So, some of the population speak a Creole variety, others speak a mesolectal variety which simply put, involves systematic use of some Creole and non-Creole features, and then others speak a standard variety.
Pronunciation: /ˌmezəˈlektəl, ˌmesə-, ˌmēzə-, ˌmēsə-/adjective