Definition of mesosaur in English:
An extinct small aquatic reptile of the early Permian period, with an elongated body, flattened tail, and a long narrow snout with numerous needlelike teeth.
- Genus Mesosaurus, order Mesosauria, subclass Anapsida
- The most basal anapsids, the mesosaurs, are oldest known fully aquatic reptiles.
- At the same time as the mesosaurs were flourishing in this newly formed inland sea, a major period of mountain building began in the south, due to the Andean-style collision of the Palaeo-Pacific plate under the African plate.
- Only mesosaurs and araeoscelidians demonstrate more lightly built limbs than protorothyridids.
- Example sentences
- If the shales at Kimberley are Lower Karroo rocks, then, from the occurrence of Mesosaurus on that horizon, those rocks may be termed Mesosaurian.
- The study here developed on the metric relationships of mesosaurian teeth proved to be useful for the identification of isolated pieces.
Definition of mesosaur in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.