- The region of the earth’s atmosphere above the stratosphere and below the thermosphere, between about 30 and 50 miles (50 and 80 km) in altitude.More example sentences
- If the layers are characterized by the rate at which temperature changes with height, then the atmosphere is split into four layers: the troposphere, stratosphere, mesosphere, and thermosphere.
- Nacreous and Noctilucent clouds form not in the part of the atmosphere in which we live, but much higher up, in the stratosphere and mesosphere.
- They will also be able to find out more about the complex waves, tides and other mechanisms that link this region - known as the mesosphere - to the lower regions of the atmosphere.
- More example sentences
- The best viewing conditions are at middle latitudes near the summer solstice, when the mesospheric temperatures reach their lowest values and the twilight hours are at their longest.
- Oscillations of 2 to 3 days period are found in February and March in the mesospheric emissions.
- Given these evidences, we contend that there is a direct influence of ablating meteoroids on the topside of the mesospheric metal layer.
Pronunciation: /ˌmezəˈsfi(ə)rik, ˌmē-/adjective
More definitions of mesosphereDefinition of mesosphere in:
- The British & World English dictionary