Definition of mess around/about in English:
1Behave in a silly or playful way, especially so as to cause irritation.
- Well I just thought it was silly girls messing about, that they had been drinking or something so I didn't think twice about it.
- We rang and messed around, recording silly messages of witty retorts to various ‘players’.
- The excitement was infectious and the adults too were to be seen sniggering over silly things, and messing about, being boys again.
1.1Spend time doing something in a pleasantly desultory way, with no definite purpose or serious intent: messing about in boats
More example sentences
- Two years later, McCaleb is retired, popping 34 pills a day and spending his time messing around in a boat.
- Also, I had spent a happy childhood messing about in boats on the Solent.
- You know, I wrote a story about some children who spent their time messing about in boats in the Lake District.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan