Definition of metabolize in English:
1(Of a body or organ) process (a substance) by metabolism.
- If protein is provided continually, the extra protein and amino acids are metabolized by the body, requiring more energy.
- Researchers looking for the potential biochemical basis for this link have focused on acetaldehyde, a suspected carcinogen formed as the body metabolizes alcohol.
- Type 2 diabetes is a chronic medical condition that affects the way your body metabolizes sugar (glucose).
1.1 [no object] (Of a substance) undergo processing by metabolism: the refined foods soon metabolize
More example sentences
- The liver is the place where most drugs metabolise.
- Damage caused when oxygen metabolizes can lead to a variety of problems in your body, from cancer the effects of aging.
- These results suggest that there are differences in the way that thimerosal and methyl mercury are distributed, metabolized, and excreted.
- Example sentences
- The supplement was fed at a rate to supply similar energy as the combination of hay and supplement in the control group, while supplying adequate metabolizable protein.
- Total metabolizable energy intake per chick over the nesting phase of 1 to 14 days was 759.4 kj.
- The energy content of feedstuffs is normally expressed as either digestible or metabolizable energy.
- Example sentences
- In particular, they may manifest phenotypically as slow or rapid metabolizers.
- Dosing of atomoxetine, unfortunately, is not straightforward because of the potential for excessive dosing in patients who are slow metabolizers.
- These patients are classified as normal to low metabolizers, depending on their reported caloric intake.
Definition of metabolize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan