Definition of metacenter in English:
The point of intersection between a vertical line through the center of buoyancy of a floating body such as a ship and a vertical line through the new center of buoyancy when the body is tilted, which must be above the center of gravity to ensure stability.
- And, if the metacenter should fall below the ship's center of gravity, it'll capsize.
- If the metacenter is below the center of gravity, the boat is unstable and capsizes.
- When a submarine submerges, however, the water plane disappears and the metacenter comes down to the center of buoyancy.
- Example sentences
- The X, Y, and autosomes are indicated as rod-shaped acrocentric, J-shaped submetacentric, and metacentric chromosomes, respectively.
- Chromosome 5 has metacentric signals whereas chromosome 2 has submetacentric signals.
- If the centromere is in the middle, the chromosome is metacentric and the chromosome arms are equal in size.
Definition of metacenter in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan