Definition of metachromasia in English:
1The property of certain biological materials of staining a different color from that of the stain used.
- In these cases, metachromasy is an indication of dimerization and polymerization of the adsorbed dyes.
- The metachromasy was found to be independent of phase transition temperature of vesicles.
- The change in color of a dye which results from metachromasy is not due to a change in pH of an aqueous solution containing it.
- Example sentences
- Fragments of metachromatic chondromyxoid extracellular material contained cells that were reminiscent of chondrocytes.
- These include the metachromatic stains or enzymatic stains.
- The classic leukodystrophies include adrenoleukodystrophy, Krabbe's globoid cell, and metachromatic leukodystrophy, and a few other less well known entities.
Definition of metachromasia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.