Definition of metapsychology in English:
Speculation concerning mental processes and the mind-body relationship, beyond what can be studied experimentally.
- Many of the assumptions adopted by film theorists from Freudian metapsychology or Lacan seem inadequate in accounting for cinematic pleasure.
- One could venture to explain in this way the myths of paradise and the fall of man, of God, of good and evil, of immortality, and so on, to transform metaphysics into metapsychology.
- Freud's metapsychology can be seen as a special offshoot or sub-division of metaphysics.
- Example sentences
- The best known of the five published metapsychological papers is ‘Mourning and Melancholia.’
- The answer lies in a theoretical perspective, a clarifying of metaphysical and metapsychological assumptions.
- They arose, in part, from the way in which psychoanalysts employed metapsychological theories to explain both character pathology and major psychiatric conditions.
Definition of metapsychology in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia