Definition of metatherian in English:
A mammal of the group Metatheria; a marsupial.
- This order of metatherians contains two species, the marsupial moles (Notoryctes caurinus and Notoryctes typhlops; the status of N. caurinus has been questioned).
- The record of Mesozoic metatherians remains negligible or non-existent for southern landmasses, though the Tertiary record has greatly improved.
- Recently this pattern of dental development has been hypothesized to be a synapomorphy of metatherians, and has been used to diagnose taxa in the fossil record.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting metatherians.
- We discuss possible explanations for reduced female recombination in marsupials as a consequence of the metatherian characteristic of determinate paternal X chromosome inactivation.
- In contrast, metatherian fossils from the Late Cretaceous are exclusively from Eurasia and North America (which formed the supercontinent Laurasia).
- Traditionally, research has been directed at the in-depth comparisons of genome structure between metatherian and eutherian gene maps to better understand genome evolution.
Definition of metatherian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia