Definition of methotrexate in English:
A synthetic compound that interferes with cell growth and is used to treat leukemia and other forms of cancer.
- Alternative name: 4-amino-10-methylfolic acid; chemical formula: C20H22N8O5
- Cancer drugs used for primary bone cancer include methotrexate, doxorubicin, and cisplatin.
- Treatment may include systemic steroids, intralesional steroid injection, antimalarials, or methotrexate.
- Antimalarial drugs or immune response modifiers like methotrexate can reduce steroid dose and side effects.
1950s: from meth- (denoting a substance containing methyl groups) + elements of unknown origin.
Definition of methotrexate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.