- 1Of, relating to, or composed in poetic meter: metrical translations of the PsalmsMore example sentences
- It was obvious to everyone except the old man that this was an entirely futile undertaking, and, when it was eventually published, the metrical translation of the Psalms received absolutely no acclaim whatever.
- This enabled him to achieve a metrical translation of sixteen plays, including all the histories, which paid sensitive respect to the nuances of form as well as to semantic meaning.
- Lefevere, though, very simply overstates the case regarding the relative function and desirability of rhymed, metrical translation.
- 2Of or involving measurement: a metrical analysis of male and female scapulaeMore example sentences
- Emphasize that the measure's metrical structure is of primary importance and should be solidified before the ornaments are added.
- One's admiration for this haunting and beautifully cadenced lament is likely to increase when we submit it to metrical analysis.
- New and previously described material of the genus Atlantoxerus from the Aragonian type area in Spain are assigned to a single species, A. blacki, on the basis of metrical and morphological analyses.
- More example sentences
- (Reece's ghazals are spiritually but not metrically linked to that form).
- Here she breaks what is actually a metrically regular dactylic line so that the beat is undermined and countered by the line breaks: a subtle disorienting of form and expectation.
- Here are a few metrically representative lines from one of the first popular raps.
More definitions of metricalDefinition of metrical in:
- The British & World English dictionary