A synthetic drug used to treat trichomoniasis and some similar infections.
- A nitro-derivative of imidazole; chemical formula: C6H9N3O3
More example sentences
- Because of the risks to infants whose mothers have trichomonas, some researchers have recommended that pregnant women who have the infection be treated with the antibiotic metronidazole.
- Enteric flora modification with antibiotics, such as metronidazole or neomycin, is a second-line treatment, and can be used in combination with lactulose.
- Other antibiotics include clindamycin, metronidazole, and trimethoprim.
mid 20th century: from me(thyl) + ni)tro- + ((im)idazole.
Definition of metronidazole in:
- The British & World English dictionary