Definition of mezzo in English:
noun (plural mezzos)(also mezzo-soprano)
1A female singer with a voice pitched between soprano and contralto.
- Jan DeGaetani was a mezzo-soprano with a unique voice, range of repertoire, and persona.
- And with a soprano taking the role, rather than a mezzo-soprano, for once the two divas were equals in their fireworks.
- Elina Garanca's voice is somewhat lighter than the other mezzo-sopranos which results in a good contrast.
1.1A mezzo singing voice, or a part written for one.
- A few days before that concert, the faculty member slated to sing the mezzo role had cancelled, and Hanslowe was called to substitute.
- Jeanette Ager sings with great conviction, and her superb mezzo voice, together with her accuracy of pitch and beauty of phrasing characterises her enterprising approach to these songs.
- ‘The Only Son,’ from 1947, is actually a little scena for mezzo, tenor, and baritone, with piano.
adverbBack to top