Definition of mezzo forte in English:
(Especially as a direction) moderately loud.
- Forty sting players - each playing pianissimo - will collectively sound nearly mezzo forte.
- Although singing most of the time only mezzo forte, his pronunciation is good, his coloraturas flow weightlessly and his piano is clear and sure.
- The feathery pianissimo lightness in the upper strings against the mezzo forte melody lower down is perfectly weighted.
nounBack to top
A moderately high volume of sound.
- In Mahler there are unison passages between clarinets and violas in which the clarinets are marked mezzo forte crescendo to fortissimo and the violas are marked fortissimo diminuendo to mezzo forte - all on the same note.
- Fortissimo is louder than forte and mezzo forte, but don't bang; it'll… destroy the music completely.
- In their place are grating, electronic arrangements that never get below a mezzo forte.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan