(Especially as a direction) moderately soft.
- In Figure 2, from Robert Schumann's Of Strange Lands and People, I suggest playing the soprano line mezzo piano, the bass piano and the triplets that lie between pianissimo.
- He rarely ventured above a mezzo piano dynamic, and high notes, when they were needed, were executed not from the chest but in a heart-melting falsetto.
A moderately low volume of sound.
- I suggest mezzo piano for most of Variation 27 followed by a subito forte right at the beginning of Variation 28.
- Nothing about Cathy could hide unnoticed, appear in muted pastels, or be restricted to the palette between pianissimo and mezzo piano.
- Kempff is most distinctive when he is most intimate; he was a master of the mezzo piano and all the dynamic gradations that surrounded it.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: mez·zo pi·a·no
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.