Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of microaerophilic in English:
(Of a microorganism) requiring little free oxygen, or oxygen at a lower partial pressure than that of atmospheric oxygen.
- Most organisms are of bowel origin, with Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, bacteroides, enterococci, anaerobic streptococci, and microaerophilic streptococci being most common.
- The cultures were incubated at 37 deg C in the controlled microaerophilic atmosphere described earlier or three days.
- After overnight incubation in selective media, recombinants were plated onto MM agar containing 20 g/ml kanamycin and maintained at 25°C in a sealed gas jar under microaerophilic conditions.
- microaerophile noun
- Example sentences
- Hence, they were likely to be strict anaerobes, or possibly microaerophiles, with a capacity to degrade sugars and/or amino acids, forming acetate as one of the end products.
- Early models assumed that all magnetotactic bacteria are microaerophiles and indigenous in sediments.
- In addition to being able to respire with oxygen, some microaerophiles may be capable of respiring anaerobically with electron acceptors other than oxygen.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.