An unusually small red blood cell, associated with certain anemias.
- Among the common morphologic findings in dyserythropoiesis are oval macrocytes and hypochromic microcytes, creating a dimorphic population.
- Macrocytes have a high MCV and microcytes have a low MCV.
- For instance, when quizzed, some of our technologists said that they considered both the number of events per field and the degree of abnormality, e.g., the size of the macrocyte or microcyte, in considering the grade.
- Example sentences
- A complete blood count showed microcytic anemia that was subsequently attributed to menorrhagia.
- How best can we then differentiate microcytic anaemia of chronic disease from genuine iron deficiency when ferritin values are normal?
- Physical assessment included laboratory examinations that revealed severe microcytic, hypochromic anemia, which prompted obtaining urine and stool samples for occult blood.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of microcyte in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.